Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
Deep fried crunchy cookies sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 tablespoons chilled sweet white wine
- oil (for frying)
- powdered sugar or honey, to finish
- Place the flour on a wooden board and make a well in the center.
- Break the eggs into the well and beat lightly with a fork.
- Add the butter, sugar, rum and wine and mix thoroughly with the eggs.
- Using your hands, gradually incorporate the flour, starting from the inside of the well.
- Work the dough into a ball.
- Cover and refrigerate for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a pastry wheel or sharp knife, cut the dough into strips 3/4 inch wide and 6 or 7 inches long.
- Tie the strips in knots or pin in bows.
- Pour oil into a large saucepan or deep fryer until 2 inches deep.
- Heat the oil to 375°F.
- Using a slotted spoon, lower the bows a few at a time into the hot oil.
- Turn the bows while cooking.
- When golden brown on both sides, remove and drain on paper towels.
- Arrange the bows on a platter and dust with powdered sugar, or drizzle with some honey.
- Vogue Entertaining.