1/3 Photos of Isle Flottante (Barefoot Contessa) (Floating Island) Ina Garten
1 hr 40 mins
I watched Ina make this on T.V. and it looks so pretty and good. I have not made this yet, but when I do I'll make sure to post a photo. The meringues are supposed to be soft.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 8 extra large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2FOR THE CARAMEL: Heat 1 1/2 cup of the sugar and 1/2 cup of the water in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Cook over medium heat until the syrup turns a warm caramel color. Don't stir, just swirl it in the pan.
- 3Turn off the heat, add 1/2 cup water and 1/2 teaspoons of the vanilla; be careful, the syrup will bubble violently.
- 4Stir and cook over high heat until the caramel reaches 230 degrees F. (thread stage) on a candy thermometer. Set aside.
- 5FOR THE PRALINE: Combine the almonds with 1/4 cup of the caramel and spread them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the almonds are lightly browned.
- 6Allow to cool at room temperature and then break up in pieces.
- 7Lower the oven to 250°F Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- 8FOR THE MERINGUES: Beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on medium speed until frothy.
- 9Turn the mixer on high speed and add the remaining 1 cup of sugar. Beat until the egg whites are very stiff and glossy.
- 10Whisk in the remaining teaspoon of vanilla. With dessert spoons place 12 mounds of meringue on parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- 11FOR THE CREME ANGLAISE:.
- 12Beat the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, or until very thick. Reduce to low speed, and add the cornstarch.
- 13With the mixer still on low, slowly pour the hot milk into the eggs. Pour the custard mixture into a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thickened. The custard will coat the spoon like heavy cream. Don't cook it above 180F or the eggs will scramble!
- 14Pour the sauce through a fine strainer, add the vanilla extract, Cognac, and vanilla seeds, if using, and chill.
- 15FOR SERVING: Pour creme anglaise on the bottom of individual plates. Place a meringue on top of each serving, drizzle with caramel sauce, sprinkle with praline, and serve.
- 16To make a day or two ahead, leave the caramel and praline at room temperature and refrigerate the creme anglaise. Bake the meringues before guests arrive and assemble the desserts just before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Isle Flottante (Barefoot Contessa) (Floating Island) Ina Garten
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.6
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 66.4 mg
- Sodium 76.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 50.6 g
- Protein 6.9 g