Delicious and easy to make soda bread scones, which are perfect when served alongside soups, stews or an Irish or Scottish breakfast. These can be whipped up in a trice and make a nice alternative to bread.........they are also delectable when eaten hot, split and spread with fresh butter.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/450F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the smaller quantity of buttermilk, 400ml or 14 fluid ozs.
- Mix by hand, adding more buttermilk if necessary, until you have a soft but not sticky dough.
- Turn out on to a floured surface and knead lightly - just enough to shape the dough into a round. Flatten it to about 2.5cm/1in thick and cut out 8-10 scones, using a 7.5cm/3in plain cutter.
- Put on to a floured baking tray and bake for about 20 minutes, until well risen and golden. Leave to cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Serve with soup, stews or traditional breakfasts.