1/1 Photo of Indonesian Vegetable Sour Soup (Sayur Asam)
This soup (Sayur Asam) is one of the most popular soup in Indonesia, particularly in East and Mid Java. Easy to cook and can be enjoyed with any complements, such fried chicken, fried tempe, fried tofu, steamed rice and sambal. You can enjoy it in every occasion. But, usually Indonesians serve it in mid day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4.92 ml tamarind pod
- 200 ml warm water
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and sliced
- 44.37 ml raw peanuts
- 4.92 ml shrimp paste
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1182.95 ml low-fat chicken broth
- 118.29 ml salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 1 chayote, peeled, seeded, and sliced thin
- 118.29 ml frozen green beans, ends trimmed
- 78.07 ml frozen corn kernels
- 1Prepare tamarind by placing it in a small bowl with warm water. Let soak for 15 minutes.
- 2To make spice paste, combine shallot, garlic, ginger, red chili pepper, raw peanuts, shrimp paste, and salt in a large mortar and blend well with a pestle. Use a food processor or blender if you don’t have a mortar and pestle.
- 3Transfer paste to a medium saucepan and add chicken or vegetable broth, salted peanuts, and brown sugar. Stir to combine, and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, use a strainer to separate the tamarind seeds from the juice. Throw away the seeds and keep the juice.
- 5Add chayote, green beans, and corn to the soup, and cook over high heat for 5 minutes.
- 6Just before serving, add tamarind juice and stir. Garnish with green chili pepper slices if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indonesian Vegetable Sour Soup (Sayur Asam)
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 267.5
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 531.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat chicken broth