Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A colleague of mine, after a conversation about how I had continuously ruined every attempt to cook red cabbage, gave me this recipe. It really is indestructible and mouth-wateringly good! It went down a treat with my mum at Christmas, who is an amazing yet picky cook. It was a complete hit with everyone to be honest, even my 3-year-old son! Give it a try; if you love red cabbage, you're on to a winner.
- 1 red cabbage (cored and chopped)
- 0.5 (750 ml) bottle red wine (what ever your preference)
- 1 cinnamon sticks or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 slices streaky bacon
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 Granny Smith apples (cored, peeled and diced)
- salt and pepper (season)
- 200 g brown sugar (more or less a large handful)
- Chop the bacon and fry (using a little oil) until crispy in a large casserole dish. Turn down the heat and add the cabbage, apple, cinnamon, seasoning and the sugar and mix. Add the red wine. Put the lid on and turn the heat up until bubbling. Simmer for 3 hours.
- TIP: If you need to leave this for longer you can. My colleague said she has let this simmer for 5 hours and it still came out lovely. Hence the name -- indestructible red cabbage!
- She also said that it freezes well -- enjoy.