Prep 2 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I found these directions over at the TOH site and I couldn't wait to try them. I want to tell you: these are delicious dogs. They are crispy, yet plump, moist and juicy. Delicious! The directions have also appeared in the little recipe book that comes with the crockpot, but I don't recall ever having seen them before.
- 1 (1 lb) package hot dog (all-beef suggested)
- 1 (16 ounce) package hot dog buns (8 in a package)
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili (Hormel No-Bean Chili suggested or choose your favorite) (optional)
- Place the hotdogs in the crockpot, leaving space between them and having them touch the sides of the pot. Where they make contact with the surface of the crockpot they will be brown and crispy.
- Cover and cook the hot dogs on the HI setting for 2 hours. Do not lift the lid of the crockpot while they are cooking. Do not add water or anything else to the crockpot.
- If you have another crockpot or crockette, use it to heat the chili, if you wish to make chili dogs. If you'd rather, sauerkraut may be heated in the crockette instead of the chili.
- A few minutes before serving, place hot dog buns in the crockpot the the dogs to warm up and soften the buns.
- You might enjoy setting up a hotdog bar for your teen-ager's special function. Set out the crocks of hotdogs and chili (or kraut) also with other condiments like mustard, relish, etc. so the teens can help themselves.
Made these for a girls lunch I cooked for. They were a huge hit! So easy and delicious. I will definitely be making these again.