1/8 Photos of Honey Wheat Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
This is the home version of Panera Bread's wonderful honey wheat bread (as posted in the Panera Bread Cookbook). I'm recording it here, because I will make this again. This recipe represents America's bread basket - the Midwest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup warm water (95-105 F)
- 2 teaspoons fresh yeast (or 1 tsp active yeast, or 2/3 tsp instant yeast)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1Make the starter.
- 2Combine yeast and water in a medium size mixing bowl. Stir until the yeast is fully dissolved. Add flour and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- 3Cover with a cloth and let stand for exactly 30 minutes.
- 4Make the dough.
- 5Combine water, honey, and yeast in the bowl of a heavy duty stand mixer. Stir until the yeast is fully dissolved. Add shortening, flour, salt and the starter.
- 6Mix on low speed until the dough is fully developed. To determine whether it is fully developed, start testing after the dough comes together and leaves the sides of the bowl. To test, stop the mixer, and take a small piece of dough and stretch it slowly with the thumb and fingers of each hand. If the dough tears easily, mix it for a few more minutes, and test again. It's fully developed when the dough forms a translucent "window" when stretched.
- 7Divide the dough into 2 pieces. Roll each into a smooth ball. Place on a pastry mat or on waxed paper (or in a proofing basket) and cover with a warm, damp cloth. Let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes exactly.
- 8Preheat oven to 400°F now (so it will be thoroughly hot when time to bake).
- 9Form the dough into loaves, place into loaf pans, if using them. Cover with a warm, damp cloth, and let rise for 30 minutes at room temperature (or in a slightly warmer spot, like the top of the oven).
- 10Make three 1/2" scores on the top of each loaf with a sharp knife. Spray with water, and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the crusts are deep golden brown and a thermometer inserted into the center registers 190-200°F If not using loaf pans, you can place the loaf directly on a hot baking stone.
- 11Remove the bread from the oven and remove from the loaf pans (if using). Cool 30 minutes before slicing.
- 12Store in a paper bag or in a bread box. You can freeze one baked loaf, allow to thaw for a few hours, and reheat in the oven.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey Wheat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.5
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 350.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: