1 hr 30 mins
Toby Jermain's Note:
Middle Eastern garbanzo and sesame dip or spread. This is my variation of my dad's recipe. Preparation time does not include soaking time for beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups uncooked chickpeas, picked over for rocks and bad beans,and rinsed (garbanzo beans)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup tahini (Arabic sesame paste)
- 4 tablespoons water
- 3 lemons, juice of
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- additional extra virgin olive oil (to garnish)
- parsley, for garnish (optional)
- pomegranate seeds, for garnish (optional)
- 1Soak chickpeas in water with baking soda overnight.
- 2Drain water, add fresh water to cover by about 1", and cook until well done, about 1 hour.
- 3Drain and cool.
- 4If you want a smoother texture, gently rub beans together, to loosen translucent hulls, and discard them.
- 5Transfer to bowl of a food processor fitted with steel blade, add garlic and salt, and pulse several times to mash, then puree, scraping down sides several times.
- 6Stir sesame oil thoroughly to combine before measuring.
- 7Pour into a small bowl, add cold water, and stir thoroughly; mixture will thicken.
- 8Add lemon juice, and stir into a smooth sauce.
- 9Transfer to food processor, pulse several times to combine with chickpea puree, scrape down sides, then mix thoroughly.
- 10Add olive oil and more tahini to taste, and adjust seasonings with more salt and black and cayenne pepper to taste.
- 11Transfer mixture to a large shallow dish, smooth the surface, and make several dents in the mixture.
- 12Spoon olive oil into the dents, and drizzle surface with more olive oil if desired.
- 13Garnish with chopped parsley and pomegranate seeds if desired.
- 14Serve with pita bread or veggies; also a good addition to a falafel or lamb sandwich in pita bread.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homos bi Tahini - Arabic Sesame Chickpea Dip
Serving Size: 1 (992 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 409.5
- Calories from Fat 262
- Total Fat 29.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 762.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 11.2 g