Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
After having lived in Chicago for over 25 years, I crave Italian sausage and of course it is not available in Denmark, so I have adapted this recipe from one I found on grouprecipes.com. This is excellent to use on deep dish Chicago style pizzas and it also freezes well.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 2⁄3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2⁄3 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- Blend together all of the ingredients with the exception of the ground pork until they are thoroughly and uniformly mixed.
- With your clean hands blend the mixture of seasonings into the ground pork until it is well and uniformly blended inches
- Place the sausage in the refrigerator overnight in a covered container so that the flavors can blend before use.
- When I make I usually use 1/3 of it rather quickly on a deep dish pizza and freeze the rest for later use.
5 stars for sure. I totally made an outrageous pizza, and this sausage rocks!!!!
Very good sausage! As some reviewers said, it's salty! If you are using the sausage as an ingredient like on top of pizza or crumpled in spaghetti sauce, leave as is. If using to make burgers or sausage link, cut back on the salt! Also I cut back on the thyme and sage and added extra fennel to make it more traditional.
I too am from Chicagolad and looked forward to this recipe! The seasonings are close but not quite there for me and DH. I think I will reduce the sage next time, since it reminded us a bit of breakfast sausage and will add a bit more fennel and garlic. Thanks for working out the hard part of these seasoningsss and I look forward to making another batch soon!