Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I was surprised to see so many "crock pot" recipes out there that call for soup mixes and other processed ingredients. What ever happened to a good old fashioned slow cooked roast!? Here's my contribution. Onions are essential as they basically create a stock/gravy which is used to flavour the meat and the liquid can be reduced to create a delicious jus or gravy to serve over the meat.
- 1 (1 1/2 kg) topside beef roast (approx)
- 2 brown onions, chopped roughly
- 1 brown onion, diced very finely
- 7 -8 garlic cloves, smashed
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups water
- handful fresh thyme sprig, chopped
- 3 -4 fresh rosemary sprigs, chopped
- handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Reserve 1 unchopped rosemary sprig and several garlic cloves. (You will use this garlic and rosemary to poke into the meat to add extra flavour).
- Put all other ingredients except the meat in the slow cooker on high. Put lid on to allow mixture to warm in the slow cooker.
- Meanwhile, braise the meat on all sides in a separate frying pan using a spoonful of oil, until meat is lightly browned. This step is designed to seal in the juices as topside meat is usually quite dry. Braising should take around 5 minutes.
- Once braised, gently set meat on top of onion mixture in slow cooker.
- Poke reserved garlic and rosemary into folds in meat and leave to cook.
- Roast 4-5 hours on high until meat is tender and falling apart. Cook time wil depend on size of roast.
- Serve with your favourite roasted vegetables.
This made for a happy hubby last evening. He's a deep rooted no frills kind of guy and had a very happy meal with this pot roast, mashed spuds and peas. The roast came out still moist and quite tender with the full time given in the recipe. Made for Pick A Chef, Spring 2013
This is the way a beef roast should be done. Forget about adding packets of onion soup mix or boullion cubes. I like to add carrots, potatoes and mushrooms to cook along with it. Red wine can be substituted for part of the water.