Recipe by Sharon123
A great way to get your fiber and nutrients! You can make it up in big batches and portion it into small containers to grab and go in the morning. Adapted from Rachael Ray's Yum-O Family cookbook.
Top Review by Annacia
Used Splenda Brown for the brown sugar and raisins in place of the cranberries for a great breakfast this morning. This is a basic, good for you oatmeal, that tastes great and is so simple to make. What more could you ask for? Made for ZWT 8
- 3 cups old fashioned oats (not instant)
- 3 cups low-fat milk (cow, almond, rice or soy)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup honey (or 1/2 cup brown sugar)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed meal
- 1⁄2 cup toasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup grape nuts cereal (or cereal of choice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the oatmeal, milk, and 4 cups of water in a large, deep saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. When it boils, quickly lower heat to very low. Stir in brown sugar, dried cranberries, flaxseed meal, sunflower seeds and salt. Cook at a low simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until very thick and creamy.
- Stir often to prevent burning.
- Serve with additional milk and sprinkle with a tablespoon of the Grape nuts cereal if desired, or cool and refrigerate to reheat later in the week.