Recipe by misscasablanca
Tomato soup with lentils,chickpeas, and vermicelli pasta. Perfect for those cold winter days. This soup is served everyday during the holy month of Ramadan. This is a modified recipe from my mother.
Top Review by sselande
Smells wonderful!, easy to make & tastes great! My first time ever trying Moroccan food, i was worried it'd be too spicy... seems like the flavors may increase as it sits there. I substituted scallions for red pepper, doubled the celery, used only 1/4 tsp black pepper, added a cup of carrots ... very happy with the results!
- 1 lb lamb or 1 lb chicken or 1 lb beef
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup celery
- 1 onion
- 1 red onion
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 7 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup lentils (soaked in water overnight)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained (or dried ones soaked in water)
- 4 ounces vermicelli (cut in small pieces)
- 1 lemon
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop celery, onion, cilantro.
- Place the lamb (bones optional, for flavoring), spices, margarine, celery, onion, and cilantro into a large pot over a low heat.
- Stir tomatoes(without juice) into the mixture and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour tomato juice, 7 cups water, and the lentils into the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer. Let soup simmer, covered, for 2 hours. Stirring occasionally.
- About 10 minutes before serving turn the heat to medium-high, place chickpeas and vermicelli into the soup, let cook about 10 minutes.
- Serve soup with lemon wedges on the side.
- This is optional: serve with warm slices of bread, dates and boiled eggs (cut in half and sprinkled with cumin and salt).