Recipe by Rita~
Tomatoes, Garlic, Fresh Herbs and crusty bread!
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
So great, so simple to put together, and this recipe really shows off the garden's gifts of tomatoes, basil, and the freshness of it all. I didn't change one thing, other then to add some nice thinly sliced green onion (scallions) - but would be so good without it too. Thanks Rita for another golden classic! Made for the Diabetic Forum Tailgate Party 2011
- 1 loaf crusty bread, sliced into 10 slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon finely diced onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons parsley
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix oil and garlic let sit 10 minutes.
- Lightly brush oil mixture on both side of bread. Grill over high heat to mark and toast both sides of the bread.
- Meanwhile mix tomatoes, onion, herbs into the remaining oil and garlic adding the balsamic, salt and pepper to taste.
- This is quick so don`t go away from the bread!
- Top each slice with some mixture and serve.