Recipe by All-Natural-Nut
While in Greece I saw this "candy" that I loved from childhood...little bites of sesame and honey that were soft because they did not have any sugar. Inspired, I set out to see if I could buy them in the US but found instead that they are incredibly easy to make! So here is a recipe adapted from one found on www.globalgourmet.com. Each bar is 30 grams, which is a typical food bar you would get in the health food store.
- 1 1⁄3 cups honey
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 1⁄2 cups hulled sesame seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest, chopped finely
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy pan, bring the honey and water to "firm ball stage" (130 degrees C/250 degrees F).
- Take off the heat and stir in the sesame seeds and lemon zest.
- On a flat marble surface (or metal trays moistened with water, or a layer of parchment) spread the mixture evenly with a spatula or knife (or try a rolling pin) to 1 cm (1/4 inch) thickness.
- Before it cools, cut into squares (try a pizza cutter).
- When it is completely cool, wrap the squares in waxed paper and store in a covered container.