1/1 Photo of Great All-American Fried Chicken
The Spice Guru's Note:
My recipe for a real crowd-pleasing fried chicken made with corn flour (masa harina). PLEASE NOTE: The Nutritional Information listing here is inaccurate -- since only a fraction of flour and salt actually end up in the finished product. So be aware -- the suggested sodium, sugar, carbohydrate and calorie levels are ridiculously exaggerated!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 -16 assorted skin-on frying chicken
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fine cornflour (or masa harina flour)
- 2 tablespoons seasoning salt (Lawry's, no exceptions!)
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 teaspoons poultry seasoning (McCormick, no exceptions!)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 4 beaten eggs
- peanut oil
- 1NOTE: USE ONLY LAWRY'S SEASONED SALT, OR PREPARE MY Lawry's Seasoned Salt (Copycat). TO MAKE CORNFLOUR, FINELY GRIND CORN MEAL IN A CLEAN SPICE MILL OR COFFEE GRINDER TO YIELD 2 TABLESPOONS.
- 2MODERATELY season chicken with salt and freshly ground pepper; RUB seasoning well into chicken.
- 3IN a large bowl add the BREADING ingredients except the flour and cornstarch; COMBINE ingredients well using a whisk; ADD the flour and cornstarch; WHISK well until mixture is thoroughly blended.
- 4IN a medium to large bowl, beat 4 large eggs; ADD the chicken pieces and turn to coat well; TRANSFER a few pieces chicken at a time into the breading container; ROLL chicken in breading until well-coated; GENTLY shake excess breading from chicken; PLACE breaded chicken on a platter and repeat procedures with remaining chicken; LET chicken rest a few minutes to absorb breading.
- 5ADD the manufacturer's recommended amount frying oil for deep-frying; PLACE deep-fryer basket into place in deep-fryer; PREHEAT fryer to 315°F (or preheat enough fat to immerse chicken completely in deep heavy stovetop pot between 315°F to 325°F, using a standard deep-fryer thermometer to gauge).
- 6CAREFULLY drop each piece breaded chicken one at a time, gently into the deep-fryer basket without crowding (if a standard size home fryer is used, add no more than 2-3 pieces at a time); (if stovetop frying, gently place breaded chicken pieces into hot oil using tongs, turning once halfway through frying duration).
- 7FRY chicken between 15-18 minutes until golden brown and fully cooked, depending on chicken portions/sizes (juices should run clear when chicken is done); BLOT chicken lightly to absorb excess oil.
- 8MAINTAIN frying fat temperature for each new batch and repeat the same cooking/steaming procedures for the remaining chicken.
- 9REHEAT chicken before serving, on grill-inserted broiler pan(s) in a preheated oven until warmed (keep oven temperature at 170°F (do not keep chicken in oven over 25 minutes, since it will lose moisture and flavor at that point).
- 10SERVE and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Great All-American Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (1304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2845.3
- Calories from Fat 1695
- Total Fat 188.4 g
- Saturated Fat 54.0 g
- Cholesterol 1044.0 mg
- Sodium 907.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 236.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: