Recipe by Manami
A gluten-free version of this all-American version. Found originally online at nottapasta.com but have changed a few things.
Top Review by Yankee Girl in Latham, NY, USA
I tried this recipe twice and the 2nd time was better. I used BOTH the cheese (a 2% milk fat Mexican blend) AND some crushed Lays Kettle chips over the top of the cheese. My whole family loved it and it lasted two nights (4 servings each night). I also used less mushrooms (8 ozs) and no red pepper flakes. This recipe beat my grandmother's back in the days when I could eat gluten!
- 8 ounces notta pasta fettuccine pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if wanted) (optional)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna packed in water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese
- 2 cups whole milk or 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups crushed potato chips
- 2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for pasta.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Oil a shallow casserole dish.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper. Sauté until mushrooms are lightly caramelized and soft, stirring occasionally.
- While mushrooms are cooking, drain water from tuna into a small bowl. Whisk cornstarch into tuna water until smooth. Set aside.
- Stir cream cheese into skillet and cook until melted into mushrooms. Add milk and reserved tuna water. Stirring, bring just to a boil and remove from heat.
- Mix in peas and tuna, separating tuna into bite size flakes.
- Stirring frequently, boil pasta for 5 minutes or until al dente. Don't over cook.
- Drain pasta, and briefly rinse.
- Toss with sauce and season to taste.
- Pour into casserole and bake 10 minutes.
- Top with potato chips &/or cheddar cheese and bake 10 minutes more, or until bubbly around edges.