Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
These gingerbread men are just like grandma used to make when we were kids. It's simple and quick to make these and they make everyone smile. It's also a great one for the kids to get involved in too.
- 118.29 ml butter
- 118.29 ml brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 100 g butterscotch pudding mix
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 7.39 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, cream together the dry butterscotch pudding mix, butter, and brown sugar until smooth. In a separate bowl, stir in the egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, and cinnamon then stir into the pudding mixture until dough forms. Cover bowl and chill dough until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Grease a baking sheet. On a floured board, roll dough out to around a 1/4 inch thickness and cut into man shapes using a cookie cutter (can also use Christmas trees, Santas, circles etc). Place cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until cookies are golden at the edges. Cool on wire racks. Pipe royal icing to detail the men once cookies are cool. Can be stored in a container in the fridge for a week.
These cookies were great! My husband loves gingerbread and because this recipe is so easy and with ingred. usually on hand, I'll be making them more often. He loved these cookies and I used royal icing with a tad bit of lemon extract added. Delish! I followed the recipe exactly, and btw, the 100g is a 3 oz. box and 175C is 350 degree oven. Just for those of you who don't want to mess with the conversions...Thanks for such a great and easy recipe!
I was looking for a recipe for gingerbread that didn't have a long list of ingredients - and this fit the bill. I was a little nervous about how the taste would compare to gingerbread made the traditional way, but everyone who tast tested these gave rave reviews! I added a shake extra of both ginger and cinnamon, and I did not "firmly" pack the brown sugar. Other than that I followed the recipe extactly. It was a breeze. Thanks so much for the recipe!
Rather disappointed in this recipe. I followed it exactly and the gingerbread men turned out like big puffy snowmen. Not at all like traditional gingerbread men. When eating one, it was much like cake in texture.