Recipe by Perfect Pixie
My friend is a ginger and loves the attention from it. For her birthday, I made her a gingerbread house with gingerbread men and horses (she loves horses also). The only problem I had was I over-decorated the roof so the house collapsed!!! lol But this is a great recipe for gingerbread men.
Top Review by Bungy
This was the gingerbread recipe I was looking for. I put some cinnamon and allspice in it, cos I like them, but the texture was exactly right - roll it thin and it's crispy, roll it thick and it's fudgy. Perfect.
- 125 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup golden syrup
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg white
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in golden syrup and egg yolk.
- Stir in sifted dry ingredients in 2 batches.
- Press mixture into a ball, knead on lightly floured surface until smooth, cover and put in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough between 2 pieces of greaseproof paper until 4mm thickness.
- Cut shapes you desire and place on lightly greased oven trays 3cm apart (they spread when cooking).
- Bake in moderately hot oven about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and firm, cool on trays.
- Royal icing:.
- Whisk egg white with a fork, gradually whisk in sifted icing sugar, about 1 tbsp at a time.
- Colour as desired and decorate.