Recipe by Sharon123
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis, show: Everyday Italian, Episode: Vegetarian Italian, this has gotten rave reviews on FoodNetwork. Easy and so delicious, great for a quick dinner and your vegetarian guest will love it! This would also be great for busy college students.I have added a few more spices to the mix. Great served with whole wheat pasta or/and garlic bread, or try it over creamy polenta! Add more cheese and sauce if you like.
Top Review by Outta Here
WOW! What a taste treat. And fairly simple to put together. Since it is winter, I used the Foreman grill, but looking forward to doing this over flame on the BBQ for added smokiness. We are trying to have at least one meatless dinner a week, and since I am not a big vegie fan, it is sometimes a challenge, but this will go into the rotation for sure. Thanks for posting!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing the grill pan
- 4 -6 large portabella mushrooms (or you can use more smaller ones or even sliced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional if you like a little heat and zing)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (store bought or homemade)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or you could also use Fontina, Monterey Jack, even goat cheese)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.
- Drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over both sides of the mushrooms, coating well. Sprinkle the mushrooms with Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes if using, and salt and pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil on the grill to prevent the mushrooms from sticking. Grill until the mushrooms are heated through and tender, about 5-8 minutes per side.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop the garlic cloves into very small pieces(mince), if using, and add to marinara sauce.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Place the grilled mushrooms on top of the marinara sauce and top with the remaining marinara sauce. Sprinkle with the cheeses and top with the butter pieces. Bake until the cheese melts and the top is golden, about 15 minutes. Serve. Enjoy.