Gehaktballen: Dutch meatballs
- Mix the meat with the egg, bread, onion, salt and spices and form 4-5 meatballs.
- Chill for about 30 minutes.
- Make into 4-6 meatballs.
- Heat the butter and brown the meatballs for about 15 minutes, turning them a couple of times.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and cook the meatballs for another 15 minutes, turning a few times.
- Remove the meatballs, add the water or beef stock and bring to a high heat. Add a little ketjap manis or Maggi seasoning to the mixture and you will have a lovely gravy to serve with the meatballs.
- NOTES : Some people coat the meatballs with breadcrumbs before frying.
- We soak the bread in a bit of milk, and then press out the milk from the bread before adding to the ground beef.
- We almost always use just the ground beef, and it is very good.
- This is good served with homefries and lots of mayonnaise.