Top Review by aemilehi
My mom used to make this all the time! It is one of my favorite Dutch meals, since everything else we ate was boiled! LOL! They are delicious with the just from the pan and even better with mustard, sliced on sandwiches!
- 1 cup lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, ground
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- to taste ketjap manis or maggi seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the meat with the egg, bread, onion, salt and spices and form 4-5 meatballs.
- Chill for about 30 minutes.
- Make into 4-6 meatballs.
- Heat the butter and brown the meatballs for about 15 minutes, turning them a couple of times.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and cook the meatballs for another 15 minutes, turning a few times.
- Remove the meatballs, add the water or beef stock and bring to a high heat. Add a little ketjap manis or Maggi seasoning to the mixture and you will have a lovely gravy to serve with the meatballs.
- NOTES : Some people coat the meatballs with breadcrumbs before frying.
- We soak the bread in a bit of milk, and then press out the milk from the bread before adding to the ground beef.
- We almost always use just the ground beef, and it is very good.
- This is good served with homefries and lots of mayonnaise.