Recipe by Emjay99
Frikadelle translated is "meatballs". I developed this recipe to recapture the flavours of the rustic South African sausage - "boerewors" means farmer's sausage.
Top Review by NicPicks
I made this for my Brother-in-law who is from South Africa. He raved about this recipe. He said the flavors were 'spot on' and he asked his wife to make it at least once a week from now on. Thanks for a great take on boerewors.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fennel seed
- 2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind the whole fennel and coriander seeds with a mortar and pestle until a coarse consistency. Or, place them in a small Ziploc bag and hammer with a meat mallet, smooth side.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients in the order given.
- Mix well so that everything is evenly distributed.
- Using an ice cream scoop - or a 1/3 cup measure - roll into balls then press slightly so they resemble chubby hamburgers - 2" in diameter - 3/4" thick.
- At this stage you can freeze them as you would hamburgers.
- To cook - heat the oil in a non stick frypan and brown on both sides.
- Use the pan juice to fry up some sliced onion and make a rich onion gravy.
- Return the patties to the gravy and cook on low until no longer pink.
- Serve on top of creamy garlic mashed potatoes.
- Instead of onion gravy - I sometimes simmer them in a curry sauce made of fried onion, garlic, curry powder (authentic quality) - coconut milk and crushed tomatoes in even quantities. Serve on basmati rice.