Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I know, it sounds weird... but this is a sweet dessert with a delicate flavor of nutmeg, it's crispy on the outside, smooth and custardy on the inside. It was love at first bite for me..
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 3⁄4 cup progresso plain breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- Mix granulated sugar, cornstarch and nutmeg in 3-quart saucepan.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Stir in butter and lemon peel.
- Spread evenly in ungreased square baking dish, 8x8x2 inches.
- Refrigerate uncovered at least 3 hours until firm.
- Cut custard into 2-inch squares, using wet knife.
- Dip custard squares into eggs, then coat with bread crumbs.
- Heat oil (1 to 1/2 inches) to 360°F; fry 2 or 3 squares at a time in oil 1 to 2 minutes or until light brown; drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
These are definitely worth a try if your looking for something different. The prep time is minimal - most of it is spent in the fridge. The powdered sugar is a must! Thanks for sharing!
Its the worst ever
Pretty good but when someone mixes Italian bread crumbs into the regular flavors not that great