Here's the way French Toast has been made in my family for at least 4 generations - but until I got into high school, we called it "egg-bread", as my back-country French-American grandparents had. Everyone I make it for loves it!
- Whisk the eggs till frothy.
- Add remaining ingredients, and mix well.
- Over medium heat, lightly grease skillet with shortening (butter will burn very quickly, so exercise caution if using butter). I use a paper towel, so I can use it repeatedly, with every 2 or 3 pans of French toast. Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, on both sides.
- Do this quickly, so as not to completely soak the bread.
- Cook in skillet over med/med-high heat for approx 5 min per side. You may need to flip more than once to get th e desired golden-brown color.
- Serve with butter and powdered sugar, or preserves (my favorite) or syrup.