Had this at my sisters and had to find the recipe on the web. Even folks who don't care for salmon love this recipe. I tweaked it a little to lower the sodium and fat. Update: I bought some frozen salmon, made the marinade, and poured into Seal-A-Meal bags with the frozen salmon, and put all in the freezer. Defrosted in the frig overnight. Yum, yum. Pulling the air out with a Seal-A-Meal or Food Saver draws the marinade deep into the fish. Also used the marinade on a very thick sirloin steak for two. Wow! Going to try it on chicken, too.
- Whisk together all ingredients except filets in medium bowl.
- Place filets in a glass baking dish, cover with marinade, cover, and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours.
- OR: Place filets in freezer bags (either all in one, or separately for individual servings) with marinade; if using separate bags, divide marinade equally.
- Place bags in freezer (remove from freezer the day before serving day and thaw in refrigerator).
- Prepare outdoor grill with coals about 5 inches from grate; oil or spray grate lightly.
- Grill 10 minutes per inch of thickness, turning halfway through cooking.
- NOTE: I substitute olive oil for the peanut oil, and then bake or broil the filets (olive oil does not stand up well to the intense heat of an outdoor grill).
Pretty much the only way I like salmon, and I have served it to other salmon-haters who also LOVED it! My husband is lukewarm about salmon but immediately said "I could eat this every week!"
I double the red pepper flake because we like spicy food, and I've found that marinating for several hours doesn't do it any harm, but if you pour the marinade over the fish while cooking the first side, it also comes out great if you only marinate a little while. As someone who really doesn't care for salmon, I'd highly recommend this if you're serving to others like me. I served with brown rice and grilled vegetables with sun-dried tomato vinaigrette.
Yay! We found a salmon recipe we like! My husband and I are not fans of salmon, but would like to enjoy the health benefits from eating it. We actually enjoyed this. I think I would add a tad more balsamic next time. We liked the heat from the pepper flakes. Thanks for sharing!
This is the best salmon I have EVER had! My husband (who hates salmon) likes this recipe more than shepherd's pie (his absolute favorite dish). That is a huge accomplishment. I stuck strictly to the recipe and froze it. This is now our go-to salmon recipe and we will be cooking it more often. Thank you SO much for the awesome recipe.