Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy to make. I have had this recipe for over 20 years and no longer remember where I originally received it. Cooking time is approximate total cooking time for all 16 egg rolls.
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten (set aside a small amount for sealing)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup very cold water
- Combine ingredients to make a dough.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Divide into 16 pieces.
- Roll into 6 inch squares.
- (Dough should be very thin).
- Stack rolled squares separately with wax paper between each one.
- Keep covered so they will not dry out while making the entire recipe of wrappers.
- Fill by making a line of your favorite filling about 1/2 from top and side edges.
- Fold in each side over filling.
- Brush on a small amount of saved egg along remaining side edges and the bottom edge.
- Roll from the top to the bottom and press lightly so it will seal.
- Fry at 350 degrees until golden brown.
Let me first humbly say that egg rolls are my signature dish--the one thing family members always request that I make when there is a big gathering. However, I've always used store-bought egg roll wraps. Tonight I found myself scrambling for something for dinner. I live in a rural area and didn't want to drive to the store, and since I had most of the other stuff I usually put in my egg rolls, I decided to make egg rolls in these shells. I thought the recipe was easy to work with, like others have said, but honestly, I would never work this hard again unless I was desperate. They took a long time to roll out. As others have said, my blobby shapes worked out fine so don't be worried about perfect squares. Also found that although they cooked up nicely enough, they didn't get crunchy like the store-boughts. They turned out okay, but definitely weren't my signature egg rolls. But thanks for posting--I always wanted to try making my own wraps.
These were delicious! I was surprised at how easy the dough was to work with. I did have trouble making actual squares, but the strange blob shapes I made worked fine. ZWT6 N.
Made these to go with Is It Egg Roll or Eggroll?. Dough was slightly sticky and used cornflour to keep from sticking while rolling it out. Thanks!