1/1 Photo of Easy, Creamy, Low Calorie Butternut Squash Lasagna
1 hr 30 mins
My family decided to make a Butternut Squash Lasagna for Thanksgiving as our vegetarian main dish and I was not completely satisfied with any of the recipes I saw on Zaar. Some of them were too complicated or too high in fat and made with heavy cream or too low calorie and bland. So I took bits and pieces from each recipe and came up with this one. I originally made it in a 9x9 inch pan so I'm not completely certain about the following measurements. One serving is 1/4 of a 9x9 inch pan and has about 300 calories.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 sheets no-boil lasagna noodles (I use Barilla flat-rolled homemade style. There will be extras in the box if you use these)
- 1 small butternut squash (peeled, seeded, and chopped into small bite sized pieces)
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 2 (12 ounce) packages frozen butternut squash puree (thawed)
- 15 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 4 tablespoons asiago cheese (shredded) or 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 2 teaspoons asiago cheese (shredded) or 2 teaspoons parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 2 cups 2% mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried garlic flakes (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried shallots (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 2Butternut Squash.
- 3Put butternut squash in a microwave save bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste (probably about 1/8 tsp each) and stir. Cover and microwave 6-10 minutes or until fork tender.
- 4Squash "Marinara".
- 5Wilt fresh spinach in the microwave using a covered microwave safe bowl. Add thawed squash puree. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder (about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp each).
- 6Ricotta Mixture.
- 7Combine ricotta and 1 tsp shredded asiago in small bowl. Add salt, pepper, italian seasoning, dried shallots and dried garlic flakes to taste (about 1/4 tsp each).
- 8Cream Sauce.
- 9In a small saucepan, over low heat, combine milk and 2 Tbsp shredded asiago. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste (about 1/8 tsp to 1/4 tsp each).
- 10Assembly and cooking.
- 11Spread a small amount of Squash Marinara on bottom of 13 x 9 inch pan. Place four sheets of uncooked lasagna noodles on top. Cover noodles with approximately 1/3 of remaining Squash Marinara, top with 1/2 of Ricotta Mixture, 1/2 of Butternut Squash, and 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella. Place four more uncooked lasagna noodles on top of this. Cover with approximately 1/2 of remaining Squash Marinara, all of the remaining Ricotta Mixture, all of the remaining Butternut Squash, and 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella. Top with remaining four lasagna noodles. Cover noodles with remaining Squash Marinara, all of the Cream Sauce, 1 cup shredded mozzarella, and 2Tbsp of shredded asiago cheese.
- 12Loosely cover with foil and bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. Uncover and return to oven for 5 minutes of until cheese is bubbly on top. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes then slice and serve.
Browse Our Top Pumpkin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy, Creamy, Low Calorie Butternut Squash Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 137.6
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 382.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
no-boil lasagna noodles
frozen butternut squash puree
2% mozzarella cheese
dried garlic flakes