Prep 3 mins
Cook 10 mins
I frequently make these cookies for work pitch-ins & family get-togethers. They are always a big hit! I was given the basic recipe several years ago by a lady who showed up at my garage sale—and she wrote it down during our conversation about baking. I have perfected different varieties over the years. Please see my other recipes for how to make the following versions of this cookie: chocolate-chocolate chip, chocolate chip, & sugar cookies. This is a really versatile recipe base—experiment!!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir ingredients in medium mixing bowl until blended (best to do right before you are ready to bake them- they flatten out more if you let the batter set).
- Spoon onto 2 un-greased cookie sheets (allow some space in between, they spread…a melon baller works great for this step).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (depends on which cake mix you use & the oven -- I start looking at them through the glass around 6.5 minutes -- they will get a dull/cracked appearance on top when done).
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan, or wait 1-2 minutes before moving to cooling racks. Cookies will be soft/chewy.
- While lemon cookies are cooling, mix together the powdered sugar & lemon juice in a small bowl, add more powdered sugar for a stiffer glaze. Lightly brush or drizzle glaze onto warm cookies on the cooling rack.
I'm not usually big on making cookies from a cake mix, but the idea of lemon cookies lured me in, & I'm so glad it did, 'cause these are wonderfully full of the flavor of lemon which we both enjoy! I did include a teaspoon of lemon zest in the batter! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]