1/4 Photos of Easy "6" Ingredient Steamed Mussels in Beer
Now this also works with clams as well, but my favorite is mussels. This is so easy and quick to make. It is a wonderful starter dish or even a main course. Just make sure to have some crusty bread to go with it. My favorite is slice your baguette in half and drizzle with olive oil and toast. Rub it with fresh garlic and a slice of tomato for a wonderful fresh flavor. Just a Note: I didn't count the olive oil to saute the vegetables in or the salt and pepper in the six ingredients. It is still very very easy and absolutely delicious. These amounts work good for 1-1 1/2 lbs. Just double each of the ingredients if you are using more mussels.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -1 1/2 lb mussels
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer (I prefer an amber or lager, but any beer will work)
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and thin sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced fine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil to saute the onion and garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1Base -- In a medium wide saute pan, add the olive oil and bring to medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute a couple of minutes.
- 2If you like a little heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes, this is completely optional.
- 3Mussels -- One NOTE: Very important. Rinse the mussels well in cold water in a collander. Make sure that any opened mussels you tap a couple of times and if they do not close, they are BAD (dead) and make sure to toss those out.
- 4Add the beer and mussels to the pan and reduce the heat to medium and cover. Simmer approximately 5-7 minutes until the mussels begin to open. Turn the heat off and add the butter and parsley and stir well. Don't over cook the mussels. You just want to make sure they all open well.
- 5Serve -- As I mentioned - crusty bread. I like to drizzle with olive oil and toast, then rub with a garlic clove and a tomato. Just cut a tomato in half and rub over the bread. It has amazing flavor. The broth and onions in the broth are a great topping to the bread with. ENJOY! This very simple easy dish.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy "6" Ingredient Steamed Mussels in Beer
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.8
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 47.1 mg
- Sodium 381.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 14.4 g