Recipe by papergoddess
This is a long time favorite of mine. From a very old (1976) BH&G Crock pot Cookbook. You can also cook this in the oven in a covered casserole.
Top Review by Roger O.
Loved it! Loving it...still eating. I did change it a little. I used a casserole dish. And I added my chopped cabbage immediately and cooked it together. Regardless the flavor is fantastic and the cabbage I feel is cooked perfect. Thank you.
- 680.38 g beef round steak, sliced in thin strips
- 29.58 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 29.58 ml oil
- 2 large onions
- 177.44 ml hot water
- 14.79 ml cider vinegar
- 9.85 ml beef bouillon granules
- 1 head cabbage
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice round steak into thin strips.
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper; coat meat with flour mixture.
- Heat oil in skillet and brown meat on all sides; transfer meat to crockery cooker.
- Add onions.
- In same skillet, add water, vinegar, and bouillon granules.
- Stir together, scraping browned bits from skillet; pour over meat and onions in crockery cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- About 15 minutes before serving, cut cabbage into 4 or 5 wedges.
- Cook in a 3 quart saucepan in a large amount of salted water until tender, 10 to 12 minutes; Drain well.
- Serve beef mixture over cabbage wedges.
- NOTE: I just add the cabbage to the crock pot over the beef and onions.
- I think it's more flavorful that way.
- You can bake this in the oven.
- Place in a covered casserole dish and bake@ 300 for 2 hours You should double water, vinegar, bouillon mixture if you choose to bake it.
- Check liquid during baking and add more if too dry.