This is my friend Lori's most famous dessert. She found this delicious concoction on Bon Appetit. Lemony, creamy, rich and decadent. This will either get you married or make you famous! This does take time and many bowls but I can personally guarantee this will be the only thing people talk about the next day!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/3 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup salted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 cups crumbled shortbread cookies, about 7 . 5 oz
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2Mix sugar and cornstarch in heavy large saucepan.
- 3Gradually add lemon juice, whisking until all cornstarch dissolves.
- 4Whisk in eggs and yolks.
- 5Add butter.
- 6Stir over medium heat until curd thickens and boils, about 12 minutes.
- 7Transfer to medium bowl.
- 8Chill until cold, at least 6 hours.
- 9This part can be made up to one week in advance. Press plastic wrap onto surface of curd and keep chilled.
- 11Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 12Spray bottom of 8" diameter springform pan with nonstick spray.
- 13Blend cookie crumbs and butter in small bowl.
- 14Press onto bottom of pan.
- 15Bake until golden, about 15 mu=inutes.
- 18Place water into a small saucepan.
- 19Sprinkle gelatin evenly over water.
- 20Let stand until gelatin softens, approximately 15 minutes.
- 21Meanwhile, place 1 3/4 Cups lemon curd in a large bowl.
- 22Stir 3/4 Cup curd in another small saucepan over medium-low heat until very warm.
- 23Stir gelatin mixture over medium-low heat until dissolved and liquid is clear, DO NOT BOIL.
- 24Whisk warm gelatin mixture into the 3/4 Cup warm curd.
- 25Gradually whisk gelatin-curd mixture into curd in the large bowl.
- 26Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- 27Gradually add sugar,beating until whites are thick and glossy.
- 28Fold whites into curd mixture in 3 additions.
- 29Using same beaters, beat cream in another medium bowl until peaks form.
- 30Fold into eggwhite-curd mixture in 3 additions, also.
- 31Pour enough mousse over cooled crust to fill pan completely.
- 32Pour remaining remaining mousse into a small bowl and reserve.
- 33Cover and chill mousse cake, reserved mousse and remaining curd overnight.
- 34Using long, thin knife, cut aroundcake to loosen.
- 35Remove pan sides.
- 36Gently spread 3/4 Cup of remaining curd over top of cake.
- 37Transfer reserved mousse to pastry bag fitted with small star tip.
- 38Pipe rosettes of mousse around top edge of cake.
- 39Chill cake until ready to serve.
- 40Can be made up to 8 hours in advance.
- 41Arrange lemon slices between rosettes.
- 42Cut cake into wedges to serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dr. Lori's Lemon Curd Mousse Cake
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 749.2
- Calories from Fat 398
- Total Fat 44.3 g
- Saturated Fat 26.4 g
- Cholesterol 332.7 mg
- Sodium 223.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 78.2 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: