Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Great comfort food and the flavour of the chicken combined with the vegetables is just lovely and its so easy to put together - it almost cooks itself! the blend of flavours makes it a meal that my family ask for again and again.
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 9 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 ounces bacon, chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, small, thick slice (optional)
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 4 tablespoons tomatoes, and basil sauce
- 1 bell pepper, small diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper
- Coat the chicken in flour. Heat large fry pan or skillet ; add the oil, and seal chicken until turning a golden brown. Place in casserole dish or your slow cooker.
- Add all the vegetables and the bacon/ham to the fry pan and cook for 2 minutes then stock cubes , cayenne pepper simmer for another couple of minutes.
- Add to the chicken, making sure that there is enough liquid to not quite cover the meat. Add a little extra water if necessary. Cook in a moderate oven 180°C for 1 hr 30 minutes, or until cooked.
- To microwave, bring to the boil on full, then set on 30% for 45 minutes to simmer.
- Serve with new potatoes or rice and fresh vegetables.
I am a single Dad with my twins in college. while they are away its hard to cook for one. But I love this quick and easy chicken recipe. OH! and it was good.. I didn't have the Greek seasoning I used Aunt Janes Mixed up Pepper...it was good...TY
Lovely one pot dish, great for the slow cooker and disguises the vegies well for my little fuss pot, lots of flavour, served with rice to soak up the sauce. Thanks for posting!
Delicious comfort food! Cooked this dish in my slow cooker and served it with some garlic mashed potatoes. The only changes I made was to leave out the celery/bell peppers and to use pre-made stock. Otherwise, I made as directed. I love cooking with chicken thighs as I feel they are more flavorful. Will definitely make again! Made for Make My Recipe Reunion, December, 2012.