Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Although I have cooked with Meyer lemons, lately they've become my muse-my obsession; and I'm sorry I haven't given Meyer lemons as much attention as they deserve! I was a bit concerned because the recipe didn't indicate to use a bain-marie but the finished product didn't seem to require one. Here's a cake recipe I found recently online that uses this exquisite citrus fruit. Easy! From dudafresh.com. The question remains: Does one eat Meyer lemon pudding cake with a spoon or fork?
- 3 teaspoons finely grated meyer lemon zest
- 3 -4 meyer lemons (do not substitute standard lemons)
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup whole milk, at room temperature (for best flavor use whole milk or a combination of milk, half and half and or or heavy cream for ext)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- real whipped cream
- meyer lemon zest
- lemon verbena leaves or mint leaf
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Butter an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Finely grate 3 teaspoons zest then squeeze 1/3 cup juice from the lemons; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, butter, Meyer lemon zest and juice; add this mixture to the dry ingredients and combine.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until (soft peaks) form.
- Start by stirring one third of the egg whites into the batter to lighten, gently fold in the the remaining egg whites. Note: the batter will be thin.
- Pour the batter into buttered baking pan and bake until golden 35-40 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- If desired, garnish the top of each serving with a dollop of real whipped cream and/or a few strands of zest and a whole mint leaf or lemon verbena leaf.
- Note: The consistency of this dessert is more pudding-like than cake-like. It will firm up slightly once it cools. I discovered it's best to let the cake sit for about 10-15 minutes after removing from the oven. Before serving, take a wet knife and run it around the edges of the pan to gently loosen the cake.
i bought a bag of meyer lemons and this was the recipe on the bag. it was wonderful and easy to make . everyone in the house loved it. will be making this again very soon