Recipe by twissis
This recipe is from the *Best Seafood Recipes* of the Australian Women's Weekly cookbook series, is an easy make-ahead fix & makes a great 1-dish meal when paired w/a mixed green salad. Per the intro, "This dish can be made several hrs ahead. Keep covered in the refrigerator & bake just b4 required." *Enjoy*
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
This was soo good! I used smaller/thin asparagus so they cooked fast, but were perfectly tender. Also used store-bought bread crumbs which worked well, but otherwise made as written. Was like eating a nice meal out, but I made it! Glad I am the only one who eats seafood, I didn't have to share! Made for Football Pool 2012-13 Win.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus (May sub canned & amend prep accordingly)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 sticks celery (chopped)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 lb prawns (uncooked, shelled & chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups white breadcrumbs (stale)
- 5 tablespoons butter (melted)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook asparagus till crisp-tender, cut into 1-in pieces & set aside.
- Melt 1st butter amt in med saucepan. Add garlic, celery, bell pepper & prawns. Stir constantly over med-heat for about 3 min or till prawns are tender.
- Add flour, stir for 1 min & remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in milk & return to heat, stirring constantly for 3 min or till mixture boils & thickens.
- Remove from heat & stir in asparagus + half the cheese. Spoon mixture into shallow oven-proof dish.
- Combine remaining cheese, breadcrumbs & 2nd butter amt in bowl & sprinkle evenly over the prawn mixture.
- Bake for about 20 min or till golden brown. Allow to cool slightly & serve.