Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I just got mine for Xmas. I was DYING to use it but had to wait for the chicken to defrost. I ran out the next morning and got the veggies, just so I'd have them on hand. AMAZING!!! I'll NEVER cook with my oven again! INCREDIBLE CHICKEN!!!
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons rosemary
- 3 tablespoons sage
- 3 tablespoons thyme
- 3 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 3 lbs new potatoes
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped, minced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- Marinade chicken in spices and water for 24 hours if you have the time (I did, because I was dying to use my crock-pot).
- Add all remaining ingredients to pot.
- Top with whole chicken, including spice water.
- *At last hour of cooking, if you have time, you'll want to add more of your favorite chicken spices such as sage, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, poultry seasoning, etc on top of the chicken. Just sprinkle them on top.
- Cook on high for 1 hour, turn down to low for 7 hours.
- Or cook on low for about 8-9 hours, check for doneness after 8 hours.
- Can be used with chicken pieces.
"Cut food into chunks or small pieces to ensure thorough cooking. Do not use the slow cooker for large pieces like a roast or a whole chicken because the food will cook so slowly it could remain in the bacterial "Danger Zone" â€” between 40 Â°F and 140 Â°F â€” too long." http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/NR_013106_01/index.asp
I was so excited about trying this recipe, but was very disappointed. I'm not sure exactly what went wrong. If I ever try something like this again, I will omit all the spices, and add chicken broth instead. I think it might've been the spices that made the veggies weird. Chicken was very tender, though.
This is super easy and makes a great chickenb soup starter. I omitted the potatoes and cleaned chicken from bone. added a couple cans of chicken broth and some noodles and its a no fuss homemade chicken soup. our new favorite!!! thanks ! couldnt have done it without your recipe!!