Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from Betty Crocker's "Slow Cooker Cookbook". Add a green vegetable towards the end of the cooking time and this really is a complete meal! In the original recipe, a cup of thawed green beans is added in the last twenty minutes. Not being overly fond of beans, when I've made this recipe, I've added broccoli florets in the last hour of cooking or baby spinach leaves in the last 10 minutes. Regardless of whether the soup I've used has herbs in it, I usually sprinkle oregano or mixed Italian herbs on the chicken.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs, to taste
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, with herbs
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (6 ounce) packet chicken flavor stuffing mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup green beans or 1 cup broccoli florets or 1 cup baby spinach leaves, tightly packed
- Place the chicken pieces in a 5- or 6- quart crock pot, season to taste, spoon the soup over the chicken and top with the sweet potatoes.
- Combine the stuffing mix with the water and butter and spoon it over the sweet potatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or until the sweet potatoes are tender, and the chicken is cooked right through: when the juice of the chicken - when the thickest pieces are pierced - is no longer pink.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, add your choice of green vegetable(s).
Just made this today and we loved it! I cooked it for 1.5 on high then lowered it, because I wanted to make sure it was done before we had to leave. It cooked a total of about 4.5 hours and the potatoes were just starting to get too mushy. I also used peas because that was what I had. Very good recipe!
I would give this 4.5 stars. I am always looking for a Crock Pot chicken recipe that is not so "cream of anything(mushroom, celery, chicken)." I know this has cream of chicken but you would not know that it did. I did two or three shakes of oregano. The oregano is a little bit much for me but I did not measure it. I will try italian herbs next time. I added about 1/2 cup of chicken broth b/c it looked like it was going to dry out. I love sweet potatoes. The sweetness of the sweet potatoes blends well with the stuffing. My Crock Pot is old so it was filled to the max. I cooked on low for 5 hours and high for 1 and 1/2 hours. Super yummy.
Well, like FloridaNative my DH said this is absolutely a five--a rare honor from him! I used chicken thighs and drumsticks, and a combination of white and sweet potatoes. I also used reduced fat cream of celery soup instead of cream of chicken to compliment the stuffing mix. DH forgot to add the green beans for me (I was working late) so I just quickly steamed them and threw them in at the last minute--worked fine. All in all I really enjoyed this, and will certainly make it again either when the temperature drops or when DH begs for it, whichever comes first :). Thanks, bluemoon! Made for Went to Market Tag.