Recipe by diner524
I found this yummy sounding recipe while searching for Australian recipes. This is a recipe from Chef Ben O'Donoghue, as seen in the LifeStyle FOOD Channel production "The Best In Australia". Time doesn't include the 2-3 hours for the salting method. Times and servings are just a estimate as it isn't listed in the recipe. The baking time will vary with the size of the thighs.
Top Review by Nif
Another terrific recipe from diner524! I cut up a whole chicken for this but otherwise made as directed. I thought that the chicken would be salty and maybe dry out from the salting process but it was delicious and juicy! The shallots were quite good but a little strong for my liking (I forgot to take their photo!) but the arugula was a nice side for this. Also, my olive oil has a strong taste so the aioli would have been better with a milder tasting oil. The roasted garlic in it was great! I will make this again for sure. Made for ZWT8. Thanks diner524!
Salt Crusted Chicken
- 10 chicken thighs, with the skin on
- 1 garlic, bulb broken up and ends trimmed
- 1 bunch thyme
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons rock salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked sweet)
- 12 shallots
- 50 g butter (Just under 2 Tablespoons)
Roasted Garlic Aioli
- 3 egg yolks
- 500 ml/ 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch rocket
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Salt Crusted Chicken.
- Toss the chicken thighs together with thyme, shallots, salt and peppercorns in a large bowl. Place a wire rack over a roasting tray. Arrange the chicken and the garlic on top of a roasting rack. Place in the fridge overnight or for a minimum of 2-3 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C/350°F Drain the roasting tray of any chicken juice that has been extracted by the salting process.
- Pour about a cup of water into the roasting tray.
- Rub the chicken thighs with butter. Scatter on top the shallots and the garlic from the marinade. Place the rack with the chicken back on top of the roasting tray. Dust the chicken thighs with paprika and place in the oven to roast until the skin is crispy and the chicken thighs are done.
- Roasted Garlic Aioli.
- Meanwhile, make your mayonnaise by whisking the egg yolks with the juice of 1 lemon and a pinch of salt. While whisking, slowly incorporate the oil into the egg yolk mixture until you get a smooth, thick texture.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove the roasted garlic and squeeze the soft centre into the mayo and whisk to blend.
- To serve.
- To serve divide the shallots and chicken between your plates. Dress the rocket with the sherry vinegar and scatter over the chicken. Dollop with the roasted garlic mayo.