Recipe by GREG IN SAN DIEGO
Here's how to get a ROASTED CHICKEN really crispy and crunchy. (For extra crispy Fried Chicken, see my Extra-Crispy Fried Chicken.) It's easy...your guests will be impressed! There's a secret: cornstarch. After piercing the chicken and rubbing the skin with the cornstarch rub, the fat escapes and mixes with the starch, creating the crisp coating.
Top Review by CindyMarie
I made this after seeing the same recipe in Cook's Country Magazine. VERY GOOD! I added a little pepper and garlic powder to the salt/cornstarch mixture. The outside was nice and crispy, but the inside was still moist and delicious.
Directions See How It's Made
- Line roasting pan with foil.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position.
- Place roasting pan on rack and heat oven to 475 degrees.
- Coat V rack with cooking spray.
- Combine cornstarch and 2 teaspoons salt in small mixing bowl.
- Poke holes all over chicken skin, using skewer.
- Rub cornstarch mixture evenly over chicken.
- Remove roasting pan from oven.
- Place chicken in V-rack, wing side down.
- Roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove roasting pan from oven and, using wad of paper towels, flip chicken so that other wing is facing up.
- Roast another 15 minutes.
- Again remove roasting pan from oven and, using wad of paper towels, flip chicken so that breast side is up.
- Roast chicken another 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and insert chicken on angelfood cake pan or empty soda can.
- Rest for 10 minutes.
- Carve chicken and serve.