Prep 2 mins
Cook 5 mins
I had this as an appetizer at a local Italian restaurant, and worked it out at home. It's our current favorite! The asparagus is crisp-tender, and the cheese is crispy and salty.
- 10 large asparagus spears
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Clean asparagus and trim off woody ends.
- Heat butter and oil together over medium high heat in non-stick skillet.
- Add asparagus and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes, until spears begin to get brown in spots.
- Turn heat down to medium. Push all asparagus to one side of skillet.
- Spread half the parmesan cheese into a 3” to 4” circle; move 5 spears onto cheese.
- Lift remaining spears out of the way, spread remaining cheese, and place spears onto cheese. Cook over medium heat for about 1 minute until cheese begins to bubble and brown around the edges.
- Slip spatula under cheese, and turn over onto serving plate. Cheese will get crispy as it cools a little.