Recipe by Stacky5
This recipe came from my friend, Michelle, who I used to work with...This was her Mom's recipe -- who was the chef in a small bistro here in Southern Indiana...Michelle's Mom passed away a couple of years ago and I'm so proud to have this recipe to pass on...
Top Review by EyesForASkinnyFuture
Yummy stuff!! I tweaked it a tad by using fresh tomatoes, skim milk, and Low-fat Heavy Cream Substitute (Recipe #113203). We thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful take on tomato soup! Thank you for the recipe!
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans tomato soup (Campbell's)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans whole milk (use soup cans)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil (chopped finely)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients, adding each one slowly, stirring constantly to smooth out the lumps as you go -- (NOTE: I believe Michelle told me to use a hand mixer to smooth out any lumps BEFORE you add the basil, salt & pepper.).
- Bring to a simmer (just bubbly around the edges) - DO NOT BOIL.
- Simmer slowly for at least 40 minutes, then serve with buttered, crusty bread. YUM!