Here is an easy way to fix your Corned Beef and Cabbage, in the Crock pot! I found this recipe in The Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever
- 4 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into quarters
- 3 lbs corned beef brisket (with spices)
- 8 small white potatoes or 8 small yellow potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters
- 1 head cabbage, cored and cut into 10 wedges (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 -5 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Combine the water vinegar, sugar, pepper and onions, in a 6 qt crock pot and mix well.
- Place corned beef and contents of spice packet in the mixture.
- Scatter the potatoes over the top and along the sides.
- Cover and cook on high heat setting 4 hours.
- Remove the lid and scatter the cabbage wedges over the top.
- Cover and continue cooking on high 3-4 hours longer, or until beef is tender.
- To serve, carve the beef into slices against the grain and serve with the cabbage and potatoes, with some of the cooking liquid spooned on top of the beef to keep it moist.
Good flavor but you have to watch the time. I put the cabbage in after 4 hours but had to take the potatoes out as they were done. The cabbage was done after another 1 1/2 hours. I think the recipe would probably work out time wise if cooked on low. I'll try it that way next time. I'd like for it to be a true load the crock pot and walk away recipe. And it may just be my crock pot.
We loved this recipe! I did adjust the times a bit. I added the potatoes and some carrots after about 4 1/2 hours and I added the cabbage after about 7 hours so it wouldn't be too soggy. It all turned out perfectly for our tastes. I did skip the onions because when I have added them early in the past they turn out too mushy, but next time I will try adding them with the potatoes or maybe even with the cabbage. I used a 4 pound corned beef and everything was done in 8 1/2 hours. Thanks, Bev, for the simple and delicious recipe!
Very yummy and easy. I made this exactly as written with great results. Thanks for posting this.