Recipe by Martina
A second place winner in the Country Woman Magazine.
Top Review by Doing it Right
My nephew and I made this for dinner. I forgot to take the recipe with me to the store, and mistakenly bought rotel diced tomatoes instead of tomato sauce. I used the tomatoes, but left out the water. And as a personal preference, I left out the green pepper. I used jiffy corn meal mix. It was good, but had a sweet taste, I think due to the jiffy mix. I will make this again, but maybe try a different corn meal mix. Thank you for sharing yourrecipe. Mindi
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 1 (2 7/8 ounce) can French fried onion rings
- 1⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the corn, tomato sauce, water, green pepper and taco seasoning; mix well.
- Spoon into a greased 2-qt.
- baking dish.
- Prepare corn bread mix according to package directions for corn bread.
- Stir in half the onions.
- Spread over beef mixture.
- Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and remaining onions.
- Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and toothpick inserted into corn bread layer comes out clean.