Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Vegetarian Times. Serve with a dollop of olive tapenade, sun dried tomato pesto or sour cream. Can be made ahead of time and then warmed in the oven.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, plus
- olive oil, for greasing griddle
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen corn, thawed
- Combine flour, polenta, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, olive oil, maple syrup, and egg yolks in separate bowl. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter, then fold in corn.
- Coat griddle or large skillet with olive oil, and heat over medium heat. Spoon 2 Tbs. batter onto griddle for each fritter, and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until browned and crisp. Transfer to serving plate, and keep warm until all fritters are done.
I went to a friends last week and got this recipe from her Veg times mag. I was excited to see it posted. Made these last night and even my picky hubby commented on how good they were! We just had them with black bean, cheese and sour cream. yummy! Tonight I am going to make a black bean soup to finish them up with. Love it!!