Prep 6 hrs
Cook 8 hrs
Buying dried beans is so much less expensive than canned. Cook the beans in the crock pot and then freeze - inexpensive and easy. Found this recipe on a blog - thanks whoever wrote it. Preparation time is initial soaking time.
- Rinse beans.
- Pour beans into crock pot and add enough water to cover beans an additional 2 inches.
- Let beans soak for 6 hours or overnight. DO NOT turn crock pot on.
- Drain and rinse beans. Return to crock pot and cover with fresh water as above.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- When beans are cool you can package them in zip lock bags. 1 2/3 cups equals about a can's worth.
- These freeze beautifully.
It was easy & worked great, thanks for posting! I "tripled" the recipe & crock potted on "high" for 8 hours. I live in high altitude & used older dried pinto beans.
Great time-saver. Just what I needed: A hands-free, money-saving, better-for-you way to have beans! I've done this with black beans, red beans, kidney beans...all turn out great. Thanks!
I love this recipe and so does my family! The only reason we may change it is to add blueberries, bananas or strawberries.