Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have been making this since I was a teen. One of my first tried and true "keeper" recipes. This is wonderful on pork. A must try .
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- In a small saucepan blend together the brown sugar and cornstarch.
- Add coffee, soy sauce, and vinegar.
- Mix well.
- Cook and stir mixture till thickened and bubbly.
- Use to baste spareribs or pork chops during the last 15 minutes of barbecuing.
This definitely makes the pork taste like coffee! Good flavor.
I see why this is one of your long-time favorites - it's so easy and the flavor is delicious and complex. You can slightly taste the coffee! Next time we may try only two tablespoons vinegar for slightly less tang, but we loved this as is, over grilled chicken. I wasn't sure so heated it over medium. This makes quite a lot, probably enough for at least five pounds of meat. Made for the March 2008 Coffee Photo Challenge.