Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is much simpler than trying to do individual macaroons and very tasty. I decided to try this recipe because I had lots of coconut and needed to make bars for a sale.
- 3 3⁄4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 whole egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate pieces (Mini Hershey Kisses)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 9-inch square pan.
- Stir together coconut, sugar, flour, and salt in large bowl. Add egg whites, whole egg, and almond extract; stir until well blended. Stir in chocolate pieces. Spread mixture into prepared pan, covering all chocolate pieces with coconut mixture. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cover with foil; allow to stand at room temperature about 8 hours or overnight. Cut into bars.
- VARIATION: Omit chocolate pieces in batter. Immediately after removing pan from oven, place desired number of chocolate pieces on top, pressing down lightly. Cool completely. Cut into bars.