Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The Best Recipes in the World; Mark Bittman. Very simple, very good.
- 3 -4 lbs whole chickens, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 tablespoons soft butter or 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°; rub the chicken with the butter; season it with salt and pepper.
- Five minutes before turning on the oven, place a cast-iron skillet on an oven rack set low in the oven.
- When the oven is hot, about 10 minutes later, carefully place the chicken, breast side up, in the hot skillet.
- Roast, undisturbed, for 30-40 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer inserted in the meaty party of the thigh reads 155°.
- Remove from the oven, let rest 3-5 minutes, then carve and serve.
I've been a big fan of Mark Bittman's for awhile now. His recipes are elegant and uncomplicated. This was no exception. The skin was perfectly crispy, and the meat wonderfully moist. My chicken was a little over 5 pounds, so I roasted it for an extra 10 minutes. This method does smoke up the kitchen a bit, but it's worth it! Thanks for posting.