Recipe by Chocolatl
Adapted from An Edible Christmas. These are soft, tender cookies. They can be frosted, but do not have to be. I like them with royal icing. The yield will depend on how large you make them. Time does not include time for dough to chill.
- 709.77 ml flour
- 9.85 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 118.29 ml packed light brown sugar
- 177.44 ml unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in molasses and egg.
- Gradually add flour mixture to make a soft dough.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On a lightly floured board, roll dough out to about 1/4" thickness. Do not roll too thin.
- Cut out shapes with cookie cutters.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, or until just firm when pressed. Do not overbake.
- Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet.
- Remove and place on racks to finish cooling.
- Frost if desired. (Optional.).