Recipe by angelcutie_604
These are great cookies to munch on a Christmas morning and are super tasty with icing and sprinkles.
Top Review by woodland hues
A good dough to work with; I recommend adding the egg to the first bowl rather than in with the dry ingredients, and baking at 350F. They puff up nicely! I added 1 tsp dried orange peel into the first bowl ingredients. The yield is generous, as I made a tree using my star cookie cutters in sizes large to small, as well as over a dozen more average sized cookies. Icing is the basic icing sugar (1 1/4 cups), lemon juice (2 tbsp) and vanilla extract (1/2 tsp) recipe, with a tbsp of water added if too thick. Thanks for your posting.
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix first bowl ingredients together until it becomes a creamy brown batter.
- Sift second bowl ingredients; add to the wet batter a little at a time.
- Mix together until it becomes a crumby dough.
- Make the dough into a ball and chill for an hour.
- When ready, cover the dough in flour and place on a heavy floured surface.
- Knead dough with the palms of your hand and roll it out.
- Cut into desired shapes.
- Cook for 10-15 minute until golden brown.