Recipe by Iron Bloomers
Chewy, rich torte riddled with chocolate!
Top Review by Bakerman
OK OK OK! IB I have to say this is a favorite of mine and I give you great credit when I make it. This is a light and not to rich answer to a great dinner party. Truly an awesome after dinner treat with a nice coffee. I put a twist on it and press it into a tart pan with a drop bottom. This makes for a nice fluted edge and I like to accent it with shaved cholcolate. The best part of the whole thing is the expression on someones face when I tell them the base os really egg whites and Ritz Crackers. IB you hit another home run! Keep up the good work.
- 30 Ritz crackers, crushed fine
- 3⁄4 cup broken walnuts
- 1 cup mini chocolate chip
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (2 ounce) envelope Dream Whip
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (Hershey's)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk, very cold
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine and set aside: crackers, nuts, chips and baking powder.
- With electric mixer, beat egg whites till frothy. Slowly beat in sugar a bit at a time until all in and egg whites are glossy and almost as stiff as for angel cake.
- Fold in cracker mixture, gently but well.
- Pour into ungreased 9-inch pie pan.
- Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- • Topping: While pie is baking, combine Dream Whip, cocoa and sugar in mixing bowl; add milk, blend well.
- Place bowl in fridge while pie bakes.
- Once pie is cool, whip topping to stiff peaks.
- Spread on pie leaving 1-inch band around edge (for looks).
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts, or shaved chocolate.
- Chill overnight.