Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe comes from Mariel on the "Or So She Says" blog. (oneshetwoshe.com) My daughter gave these to me as a Christmas gift one year. Since then these yummy cookies are a traditional Christmas cookie at our house.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a mixer, combine the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk, milk, and vanilla. Mix until just incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture, mix.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about an hour.
- Whisk an egg white in a bowl, set aside.
- Place the chopped pecans in another bowl.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and dip into the egg whites, then roll in the pecans.
- Place the balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Using a 1/2 teaspoons measuring spoon, press an indentation in the middle of each cookie ball to hold the caramel.
- Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, unwrap about 15 caramels and place them in a bowl with the heavy cream.
- Microwave for about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until smooth.
- When the cookies are done, re-press the indentation with the measuring spoon and fill the pocket with caramel.
- Let cool, completely.